Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The "Wooden" Anniversary

Ronnie's Charlie Chaplin face and my protective Papa

Getting ready to cut the cake...
After we shoved the cake...

Well, August 10th marked our 5th anniversary!  We started the day with breakfast in bed (made by Ronnie!) and reminiscing on our wedding day.  Even on our wedding day, we were flying by the seat of our pants...Ronnie spent the night in our new apartment so that he wouldn't have to drive from Hurricane on the day of.  He woke up and realized we had no shower curtain, soap or towels.  He rinsed off and used his clothes from the day before to dry off...on our wedding day.  He arrived at the temple before I did and started worrying because I was late.  I was late, because I woke up at 5 am to do my own hair (BIG mistake...not that it turned out bad, it just sucked.) for our 8 am sealing at the temple (another big mistake...we were trying to beat the heat, but in my opinion, it wasn't worth it). and ended up doing my WEDDING DAY make up on the car ride over.  So young and so dumb, but quite memorable.

But even though the day started out hectic, everything turned to calm and peace as we made our way up to the sealing room, hand in hand.  I remember sitting in the little room, just off of the celestial room, just holding my sweethearts hand and watching as people made their way in.  It was so beautiful and so perfect.  Staring at each other from across the alter, there were no tears, but  grins plastered on our faces from ear to ear.  It was just so... happy.  I remember when Ronnie went to kiss me he almost yanked my veil off, and then about 5 or 6 times during the course of the day, he yanked my head back by accidentally pulling on it.

I remember being late to our luncheon and our reception and people slapping Ronnie on the back and giving us sheepish grins.  I remember standing in a line FOR-EVER.  In the end, it was worth it though, since we made money on our reception ;)  We finally dipped out of the line to cut our cake and had a TOTAL food fight.  Ronnie bent low so I could feed him his piece.  I had it halfway in his mouth, then at the last second I decided to shove and smear it in his face.  He was quick on the draw though ( I think he was expecting it...go figure) and wiped it off his face, out of my hands and all over my face.  It quickly got on my dress and his tux as we tried to push each other away.  I loved it.  It was so us, and still is.  We went inside to clean up, and when we came out, everyone was gone and my family was taking everything down!  For some odd reason, they thought that we had left already!  So no Daddy daughter dance and no first dance!  So sad.  Ronnie was sweet and pulled out his yellow lap top (spray painted by himself) and put on Spice Girls Wannabe to dance with my girlfriends and then a little BSB.  He then turned on our song "Everything" by Michael Buble and held my hand as we danced, just the way I like it.  We were among the last to leave our reception (somehow, we usually are the last to leave any function), and were left on our own to see the wreckage of our car.  It was stuffed with ballons, written on, oreo-d and had the handle tied to each other from across the car on the inside.  It would've been funny, except they tied the front doors together and those were the only ones with a key-hole, so we couldn't get into the car!  We were so worn out and ready to go, and it TICKED Ronnie off so much, that I had to remind him not to ruin our wedding night.  He finally pried it open enough to cut the ribbon and we were off.  The only catch was, we didn't have a bed at our new place, and we were too cheap to get a hotel.  Thank Heaven for our amazing best man Jordan Behunin, who volunteered to drive home to Hurricane to get his Dad's truck, then drive to my parents house to get the bed, then all the way out to our apartment in Green Valley.  The best part of it all, was that after he'd dropped off the bed, he couldn't get the truck to start!  He vowed he would walk home if it wouldn't start, because he wasn't going to stick around for our wedding night. Thankfully, it eventually started.

The next day, we went to the demolition derby at the fair.  How awesome are we?!  Our 5 years together have been a lot like our wedding day...a lot of flying by the seat of our pants and going with whatever comes!  It doesn't always work out, and we're learning to prepare and think ahead, but it's always fun...or atleast fun to think back on ;)

This year was pretty low-key, since we're right in the middle of building a house and Ronnie is bogged down at work.  We went out to eat at Brick Oven, then went to a movie.  It was pretty generic, but at this point, it was Heavenly just to get out of the house together.  We have tickets to go see Aladdin, but we'll have to wait for that one.  Our entire date was in gift certificates from the radio station....we're still working on not being cheap!

1 comment:

The Stratton's said...

I loved reading all about the funny things that happened on your wedding day. That's great. You guys are the coolest!