Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Asthma Avery



I've figured for quite some time that our little Avey had asthma (her Dad and Papa both have it), but we were never given a diagnosis.  She has had respiratory issues and always has several visits to the doctor during sick season.  She's had "croup" so many times, that I finally asked for extra medicine so I could treat the symptoms myself.  I've sat in too many steamy bathrooms to keep count and my poor bathroom door wont even shut properly from all of the heat.  Anyhow, in February of this year it got REALLY bad.  So bad, that by the time I got her to the doctor, she was wheezing, weak and the edges of her lips were turning blue.   She didn't want to eat and only wanted me to hold her.  It was terrifying and I felt so useless, but I was grateful that the doctor would be able to see exactly how bad she was.  As soon as we walked in the door, the doctor said, "She has asthma" and got a nebulizer to treat her.  It was odd, but I was so glad to finally hear those words, to know what was going on with her, that I would be able to help her.  She was so limp and tired from trying to breath, that she didn't even fight the treatment.  She finally started breathing deeper and fell asleep in my arms.  We had to give her a treatment every four hours, using 3 different drugs for the next four days, then two treatments a day through the sick season (April).  It's been amazing to watch her resiliency and her understanding that we are helping her.  She actually loves her medicine and will ask for it if she is feeling a bit sick.  I'm so grateful for modern medicine and for promptings from the spirit.  I was ready to wave this off as another "cough" but couldn't shake the strong feeling that I needed to take her in.  I'm so glad I listened.

1 comment:

Cassidy & Shawn Marshall said...

poor girl! Im glad you got it figured out though- My sister in law has 4 kids and 3 of them have really bad croop coughs every year so she has to do treatments at home too-so sad :( but it helps and is much easier than always going in to the doc.